Friday, August 12, 2011

Painting on metal

Hi There!

A few weeks ago I was given some small compact mirror's by one of my students. After a few experiments with some Jo Sonja mediums, (and some misshaps!) I was successful in painting on the compacts with some great results. I used the pattern from Christine Whipper that we had just painted in a workshop and some wildflowers from Chris Roy's book on wildflowers. Of course the patterns were reduced in size to fit the compacts.


 The surface was first sealed using Jo Sonja 'all purpose sealer' I used two coats, letting it dry naturaly in between. The first coat may 'bead' or reject the sealer in some places,  use a flat brush so that you do not get any brush marks.

Next I experimented with background paint and tube paint. I found that some of the background paints were two thick to give a realy smooth coverage, so I used a few thin coats of tube paint and this provided  better results. I also used a flat brush and tried to avoid leaving brush strokes.
Let one coat dry well before recoating.






The mirror with the yellow background (top photo, left) I used Decor/texture crackle, filling in the space and leveling this off, let it dry for a few days before using washes of colour on top.

To finish off the compact I used Jo Sonja satin varnish, 3-4 coats, dry well between each coat. This will protect the painted area.  If painting for gifts they also look good in a matching bag, this will protect the compact while being used in your handbag.
Have Fun! Lyn.

No comments: