Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Count down to Christmas

After hording this Advent Calender kit for over a year (bought at Spotlight in a sale after two Christmas's ago), I decided to decorate it for my two youngest grandchildren, now aged  3 years, and 17 months. Each drawers is big enough to hold two chocolates.




The whole box comes as a flat pack, trouble? set with papers and glue I started to make up the boxes, 24 in all. I made a template out of the flat box, cut out 24 lining papers, scored and glued the lining onto each inside of the boxes. Good so far!

I then made a smaller template for the bottom of each box, cut out the 24 bottoms with enough paper on each side to go partly up the box. I then glued the boxes together, first problem as the boxes were made of cardboard the first layer of cardboard kept coming away as I glued the box together, so glad I decided to cover all the box as it has made them stronger.
When these were dry (and make sure that they are square otherwise they will not fit the holes) I glued the bottom papers onto each base. placed glue on each of the 4 (shorter) sides and glued them down.

Next I measured around one box and the depth plus a little for the overlap and cut out 24 strips of patterned paper, glued each strip to the outside of each box overlapping slightly at the back.
When they were dry I used a sharp craft knife to cut around each finger hole. a lot of work but now they are stronger and not falling apart.

Now the box, the flat pack needs cutting apart as the walls are joined together, you also need to trim the nodules so they fit flush with the back when glued in place. I tried a craft knife, but nearly broke the blade, so arm yourself with a Stanley knife, but please be carefull! Once apart you can sand them, but being MDF it is not good to sand before painting.
The back and outer walls I painted with Jo Sonja-Poppy. I then covered all the inside walls of the box, and all the little dividers  with papers, using a craft knife to trim any areas that needed a trim when the paper was dry. Any areas that were to be glued together I did not cover with paper.

Gluing the box together with PVA wood glue for strength. Please take great care that all the walls are square, and the dividers have enough even space between them to hold a box.  I had to use 3 hand  vices to help do this job, and I used spare paper to put under the vices so that it would not tear the paper. Also the paper on the walls has to be dry.
The papers I bought from Spotlight, a set of matching 12 x 12 papers in a pad for $10 (VIP price) including the  paper I used in the middle. Spotlight was the only store with Christmas paper, and choice was limited.

I have left the center with nothing in it as my Daughter can add her own ornament's as she wishes. The numbers I looked all over for, Spotlight, Lincraft, two dollar shops and they had nothing like I wanted, I came home, looked through a stash that my Mum had and found just what I needed. I glued a large sequin onto each box and then added the numbers, to finish I added a small puffy glue on, stocking, candy cane or holly. All in all it took me over a week to finish! was it worth it?  
YES for my Grandchildren. Would I do it again? No!


No comments: