Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Artist Trading Cards


 Well, it has been twelve months since I last added to this blog, time passes so quickly these days. Although I have been busy painting as a form of art therapy for myself I have also been somewhat busy elsewhere. I had a family member who passed away last September after a long illness, it leaves you a little empty.

I love my folk art and still enjoy being part of the Mountains and Rivers Folk Art and Decorative painting group, we meet at Penrith five times a year for a meeting and always we have a visiting teacher with a workshop to follow. I have been a member for the past ten years and hardly missed a meeting getting to know some great ladies along the way.

Although folk art is not popular now we are still strong with over fifty members and about thirty ladies join us at the meetings/workshops every time we meet.

I still love my painting although it is getting harder to prepare wood projects each time for the traditional folk art a lot of our work now is painted on canvas.

You have only to look around the internet to find the most popular form of painting today is art journaling there are hundreds of sites to join, watch and plenty of people teaching through small groups, YouTube, and Pinterest.

For a few years now I have made some watercolour note cards, selling a few on Etsy, though as Etsy has grown my shop has been lost among the younger more talented sellers. I closed my shop as I wanted to try other things.

Today I try my hand at art journaling and having a background in folk art helps. I combine both together with good results and as I paint to relax I enjoy every moment of art journaling, good or bad!

ATC'S, or artist trading cards are types of art you swap with other like minded artists. They have only a few rules, they must measure three and a half inches x two and a half inches. Only traded never sold. Always on the look out for something new to try I painted some ATC's and I have traded all over the world, with some lovely cards back in return. My cards seem to be scooped up quickly as soon as posting on the net, so now I do not post so quickly!

Showing you some of my cards; Starting by cutting the card to size 2 1/2 x 3 1/2. I use watercolour paper then I round off the corners on some as I like the look.

Using my Jo Sonja paints I spread the paint across the paper, sometimes I wet the paper and let the paint flow, it all depends on the look you want. See photo.



Then just paint, doodle, draw or use stickers, decorate as you like, no rules with this. I back my card with card stock to make it a thicker card. Sign and date the back and you are done!

Just a few artist trading cards I have made and traded. Enjoy!














No comments: