Monday, May 10, 2010

Butterflies in my garden

Adapted from a book called 'Butterflies in my Garden. The original is painted in oils.



This was a delight to paint, painted in Jo Sonja colours on a wood board. I used a wash of  Matisse white gesso, let it dry and sanded with the grain. Next I used Matisse tranparent gesso and applied it with a small piece of cheese cloth, while this is still wet, pick up some sap green on the cloth and wipe it on the right hand side of the wood piece. now pick up some Raw umber and wipe the laft side. dab some of the raw umber to darken some places on the left. Dry well and trace on the design.
The design was then painted with thined paint.
I will be painting more from this book, it has some lovely pieces to paint in it.

Just looking at the close up photograph, it would make a lovely painting all by its self!

No comments: