Friday, May 31, 2013

Latest painting, Mixed media.

Hi Everyone!

Had nearly a week to get over my weekend away at Nelson Bay with the ladies from Mountains and Rivers. Great weekend, the painting was A1 as usual, for the first time at this convention I taught a class, my Owls were one of the painting choices on the Friday afternoon, it went well with seven students, we seemed to be laughing a lot I was told by the other classes, we did have a good time all weekend.

Saturday I chose a mixed media painting by Josephine Louwen, Josephine is one of our Mountains and Rivers Folk Art teachers, an excellent teacher with many years experience.


This "Zentangle" is painted by me from a design by Josephine Louwen.

Josephine can be contacted through Mountains and Rivers.









Since painting this I have looked into the pen work on the circle. Some call it "Zentangle" others doodling. Doodling - meaning is; Doodling - present participle of doo-dle (verb) = 1.    Scribble absentmindedly.

If you Google search ' doodle you find that the work is often drawn absentmindedly with no real form, often filling the page. 

While searching "Zentangle" they start by drawing what they call a 'string' and forming a shape with this drawn 'string they then draw a selection of patterns inside this 'string'

"Zentangle" is a trade mark of an internet company that sell books and patterns.

In the last couple of days I have trying out some dooling/tangling (what ever you would like to call it) of my own, it is quite easy to do, and it grows on you!


This one I drew around the bottom of a Horlicks container, it was oval. I then drew shapes inside the oval and decorated them, I then went outside the oval and drew some more shapes until I was happy with the design. When I looked back I can see a bird with it's head tucked away, I had no intention of drawing anything, just a as my mind took me. Not bad for a first attempt.




This second one I was tired so the shapes not so good, I was trying to resemble the comers in Folk Art, just goes to show it is best not to think too much when drawing these, it is best left quite spontaneous.

I drew this one the next night, must have had too much chicken! that is what it reminds me of!

These by the way were drawn on lined paper out of an exercise book with a double sided "sharpie" pen. The trouble I had is that the pen bleed through to the next page, so either put a piece of card under the page or better still draw on a sketch book or some thicker paper. Look out for some mixed media paintings using some tangles within the painting. Do try it and Have fun!

No comments: